McKinley Irvin Blogs from May 2014

  • How to Divorce if You are Unsure You are Legally Married...and What to do if You're Not

    It should go without saying that a person must be legally married in order to obtain a divorce. If you are facing the prospect of separating from your spouse, but are unsure of the legal status of your marriage, you must determine whether your marriage was properly registered according the law of the state or country in which your marriage ceremony was performed. Review County Records In Washington State If you were married in the State of Washington, your marriage certificate must have been recorded with the ...
    Continue reading >>
  • Will Marijuana Legalization in Washington State Affect Your Divorce or Other Family Law Proceeding?

    On November 6, 2012, Washington State approved Initiative 502 (‘I-502’) removing state-law criminal and civil penalties for the production, distribution, and possession of marijuana. As a result, parents who have had their time with their children restricted due to marijuana use might legitimately question whether the new law provides a basis for modifying their court order or whether the law will alter the course of their divorce or other family law proceedings in the future. In short, the answer is no. I-502 likely will ...
    Continue reading >>
Page of 1
  • Best Law Firms
  • Best Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent
  • Avvo Rating 10.0
  • American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
"We cannot begin to express our gratitude for all that the McKinley Irvin divorce attorneys have done for us."
Read More