Family Law Mediation Services
Trusted and Resourceful Mediation Professionals
Mediation is a powerful tool that allows you to maintain control over the process and the outcome of your divorce or other family law dispute. McKinley Irvin offers flexible scheduling for mediations to accommodate parties with urgent needs.
McKinley Irvin’s family law mediators have a holistic knowledge of family conflicts and a deep understanding of the legal, financial and emotional elements of divorce. Their extensive experience allows them to mediate cases that involve complex legal and financial issues.
“My work as a mediator and attorney go hand-in-hand,” says Laura Sell. “They’ve both taught me to listen. People often know what is fair and what will work for their family, but need help visualizing practical solutions. As a mediator, I am there to see the things they cannot and to work with both sides to reach an agreement that is both balanced and viable.”
Laura, along with mediators Jamie Walker, Cameron Fleury, and Theresa Lorella, enjoy helping people assess their needs, priorities, and motivations, while providing the benefit of experience both as practicing family lawyers and mediators. They are dedicated to facilitating people toward an equitable, practical, and stable agreement that ultimately brings closure to litigation.
What are the Advantages of Mediation?
Compared to traditional litigation, settling a divorce or family law dispute through mediation is:
- Flexible – Mediation can address one or more issues in dispute and can take place before and/or after a petition is filed with the court.
- Private – Mediation is conducted outside of court and off the record.
- Non-Adversarial – Both sides work cooperatively to determine the best result for everyone.
- Self-Directed – You maintain control of the process (not the court) and create your own solutions.
- Neutral – Your mediator is an experienced unbiased professional focused on facilitating a mutually agreeable resolution.
- Healthy – Mediation promotes better communication, stronger relationships and improved parenting.
- Durable – Privately mediated agreements allow the parties to take ownership of the outcome thereby resulting in greater long-term satisfaction.
- Economical – Reaching a settlement outside of court can lower legal costs.
- Mandatory – Upon filing a petition with the court, parties are required to attempt alternative dispute resolution to resolve their case. Mediation fulfills that requirement.
If you are seeking a resolution of the issues at stake, mediation provides an excellent and cost-effective environment in which to formulate a practical and lasting arrangement that works for you and your family. This approach provides privacy and flexibility that you cannot get in court. By turning over the power to resolve your case to the court, you give up the ability to reach an agreement which takes into account your unique needs, goals, and values.