About Laura Sell
As Law Practice Managing Partner, Laura Sell is responsible for training
and mentoring members of the McKinley Irvin legal team, consulting with
individual lawyers on complex and cutting-edge cases, serving as the firm’s
human resources point person, and overseeing new attorney recruitment. With all
of this on her plate, Laura insists she relishes the challenge.
"Family law is such a crucial area of practice,” she notes, “because it’s 100 percent focused on the most important aspects of people’s personal lives: their family, children, income, and assets. Representing clients in this arena is a weighty responsibility."
Laura contends without equivocation that her McKinley Irvin colleagues are up to the task.
"We hire and retain lawyers who are fully committed to family law, who are excited and energized about their practice, who are accomplished legal practitioners devoted to outstanding client service, and who are dedicated to continued professional growth. Let’s not forget that exceptional lawyering is a continuum, not a destination."
A member of the McKinley Irvin executive team since 2017 and whom founder Sands McKinley calls “one of the funniest people I know,” Laura retains a fierce loyalty to the firm and the principles for which it stands, all the while invoking her infectious sense of humor and story-telling gifts “to create community and put people at ease.”
"We hold a unique place among law firms in this region,” she maintains. “We have endured for nearly 30 years because of our commitment to innovating and elevating the practice of family law. We challenge the status quo. We are a leader, both in terms of the way we practice and the quality of all our professionals—not just the lawyers."
"Because of where we are and who we are, we are able to offer unparalleled service to every person we represent."Next >>
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- King County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- QLaw: The LGBT Bar Association of Washington
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Association of Workplace Investigators
- J.D., University of Dayton School of Law
- B.A., Western Washington University
Publications & Presentations
- "Protecting Your Practice from Divorce: Tips for Solo and Small-Firm Practitioners," author, King County Bar Bulletin (October 2016)
- “Spousal Maintenance,” chapter co-author with James McGuire, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Family Law (2016)
- “Prenuptial Agreement Basics,” author, blog post, Stokes Lawrence Washington Divorce & Family Law (July 2015)
- “Post-Dissolution Disputes Involving Neglected Assets and Liabilities,” co-author, Matrimonial Strategist (February 2008)
- “The Non-Biological Parent; Washington Creates a Common-Law Parentage Cause of Action,” co-author, Matrimonial Strategist (May 2005)
- "Dissolution from A-Z," Program Chair, King County Bar Association CLE (May 2017)
- “Internal Investigations - Who, What, When Where and Why,” co-presenter with Aviva Kamm, Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Institute (December 2015)
- “Investigation Issues - Who, What, When, Where and Why,” co-presenter with Aviva Kamm, Employment Law Institute CLE, King County Bar Association (September 2015)
- “Financial Wisdom for Women,” co-presenter with RoseMary Reed and Cornerstone Advisors (June 2015)