About Janet A. George
Ask those in the know to name the finest family law attorneys in the state
and one thing is certain: Janet George will appear on every list. It’s
been that way for more than four decades—and counting.
With typical modesty, this gifted lawyer who one prominent Seattle attorney calls “the most empathetic person I know,” shrugs off the public accolades, including a 19-year, pace-setting appearance on the pages of Best Lawyers in America.
"My success in the practice stems in large part from my intuitive ability to accept people just as they are,” notes the psychiatric nurse-turned-lawyer. “I meet interesting, accomplished individuals in a state of crisis—people with a lot on the line who can be difficult, angry, and upset."
"With my background as a therapist, I’m able to help them work through their anger and begin to build a foundation for moving on with their lives. I don’t consider divorce a failure. It’s not right or wrong; there are no absolutes. But there is always hope for a better tomorrow."
While she dedicates her days to marital dissolutions for high-net-worth clients, Janet’s after-hours avocations reflect her eclectic interests and love of life: pilot, avid golfer, ski enthusiast, and lifelong equestrian who, as a part owner of four racehorses, delights in her days at Emerald Downs.
Of counsel with McKinley Irvin, Janet continues to take on a select number of high-profile cases (“The more challenging, the better!”) and routinely shares her considerable expertise and experience with younger attorneys.
"I could have retired years ago,” she quips. “But I treasure the opportunity to give back to this great profession. It’s been exceedingly good to me."Next >>
- AAML Washington Chapter: Past President, member of Board of Managers, CLE Chair and Judicial Conference Committee over many years
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- King County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Longtime supporter of King County Family Law CASA and Treehouse, a non-profit that advocates for foster children.
- J.D., University of Puget Sound (now Seattle University) School of Law
- M.A., University of Washington, Psychiatric Nursing
- B.A., Stanford University, Nursing
Publications & Presentations
- Regular speaker and chairperson at family law and other area CLE presentations; most recently “Mastering Social Media” (KCBA, 2015) and “Family Law Hot Topics” (KCBA, 2014).
- Featured in "The Many Lives of Janet George," Super Lawyers Magazine, June 2018
- Washington Family Law Deskbook, “Methods of Discovery in Family Law Litigation,” 1999 and updated in 2012.
In The News
“How The Gates’ Split Could Stack Up Against The Biggest Billionaire Divorces,” Forbes (forbes.com), May 2021
“Did Bill Gates and Melinda Gates Have a Prenup? An Expert Weighs In,” US Magazine (usmagazine.com), May 2021
“Bill and Melinda Gates to divorce with $146 billion at stake,” Seattle Times (seattletimes.com), May 2021
“Here's How Bill and Melinda Gates May Split Assets Under Washington State Law After Divorce Filing,” Newsweek (newsweek.com), May 2021
“Bill and Melinda Gates to Divorce With $146 Billion at Stake,” Bloomburg (bloomberg.com), May 2021
“From Bill Gates’s Divorce: How Do Billionaires Divide Their Assets? Why It Is Not 50/50?,” Daily Investment (investment.ceo), May 2021
“MacKenzie Bezos could become world's richest woman after divorce,” Washington Examiner, January 2019