About Janet A. George
Janet George has been practicing family law for over 35 years and is widely recognized as one of the top family law attorneys in the state of Washington. She limits her practice to complex, high asset and high income cases, including those involving property characterization, business valuations, and the distribution of multi-million dollar estates. She has represented high net worth individuals across different fields, including business owners, corporate executives, legal and medical professionals, and professional athletes.
Janet has received the top honors of her field. She has been a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) since 1992, serving as President of the Washington AAML chapter from 1997 to 1999. She has also been included in Best Lawyers in America for the past five years, Super Lawyers since 2003, and has had a peer-review rating of “AV Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell for the past 30 years.
Whether cases are resolved through mediation or trial, Janet considers her role as an educator just as important as her role as a legal advocate. “I educate my clients about their rights, their estate, possible disposition of property, and creative solutions for children. I respect my clients’ situations and want them to be satisfied with their decisions, whether six months or six years later.”
Before becoming an attorney, Janet earned a Master’s degree in psychiatric nursing, counseling families in crisis and working with adolescents at Seattle Mental Health Institute as Director of Nursing and also as a Psychiatric Nurse. She considers this experience a natural background for the practice of family law.
Janet continues to take cases that involve parenting disputes as part of her ongoing passion to help children. She is also a strong supporter of organizations that share this mission, including King County CASA and Treehouse, a non-profit that advocates for foster children.
When time allows, Janet is also an adjunct professor at Seattle University School of Law and considers working with law students one of her greatest joys.
Following her own advice to live life completely, Janet is a former small plane pilot – flying to and from her getaway in Sun Valley in her 182 RGTurbo Cessna. She has dealt blackjack at South Shore Tahoe, and has shown quarter horses in the Salinas rodeo. She’s an avid skier and 'wannabe' golfer, and is currently involved in the world of horse racing. She owns a percentage in four race horses and enjoys spending time at Emerald Downs with the jockeys, trainers, and other owners and breeders.Next >>
- AAML Washington Chapter: Past President, member of Board of Managers, CLE Chair and Judicial Conference Committee over many years
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- King County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Longtime supporter of King County Family Law CASA and Treehouse, a non-profit that advocates for foster children.
- J.D., University of Puget Sound (now Seattle University) School of Law
- M.A., University of Washington, Psychiatric Nursing
- B.A., Stanford University, Nursing
Publications & Presentations
- Regular speaker and chairperson at family law and other area CLE presentations; most recently “Mastering Social Media” (KCBA, 2015) and “Family Law Hot Topics” (KCBA, 2014).
- Featured in "The Many Lives of Janet George," Super Lawyers Magazine, June 2018
- Washington Family Law Deskbook, “Methods of Discovery in Family Law Litigation,” 1999 and updated in 2012.