About Elizabeth Michelson
Attorney Elizabeth Michelson has practiced Family Law in Snohomish County since 1980. She focuses her practice on complex divorce and custody cases, and has been recognized within the legal profession and in the community for her exceptional ability in the practice of family law.
She is a longtime Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) and was named a “Best Lawyer in America” in 2016.
By working to understand her client’s needs and expectations, Liz helps her clients make rational decisions, and provides a strategic, achievable plan to meet their goals.
“I develop a relationship of absolute trust with my clients,” says Liz. “Total honesty—I don’t soft pedal or avoid difficult conversations about the difference between what is possible and what is likely. People respect and deserve that.”
She continues, “Every client is important to me. If it’s my case, it’s personal. I know their case backwards and forwards, and I make it my mission to get them the results they need.”
Liz is dedicated to helping clients remove themselves personally, legally, and financially from unhappy marital situations. She is especially motivated when, with the support that she and her team provide, clients become emotionally empowered and less fearful and dependent.
“Being a family law attorney has defined who I am over the last nearly forty years,” says Liz. “What continues to motivate me is never having a single client walk away after the case is finished believing that I didn’t do my best for him or her.”
Liz has worked as a mediator and finds the experience and training has given her an advantage in family law disputes. She has also served on the Reduce Family Conflict Committee of the Domestic Relations Commission of the State Judicial Administration Board.
Liz and her husband have a three-legged dog, Smokey, who is a local celebrity. Stories about Smokey have been featured in the local media, and he is regularly recognized and pampered by his adoring fans.Next >>
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 1996-present
- Committee Member, Domestic Relations Work Group, State Board for Judicial Administration, 2000-2001
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Women Lawyers
- J.D., University of Colorado School of Law
- Graduate, Pacific Family Mediation Institute
- Professional Mediation Skills Training Program
- Presenter, "Spousal Maintenance: Modification, Suspension, Termination," Snohomish County Bar Association CLE, 2005
- Presenter, "Pros & Cons of Prenuptial Agreements," American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers CLE