About Mark Arend
As a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot, businessman, and now family law attorney, Mark knows how to go into an adversarial environment and achieve a beneficial outcome. He puts these skills to use every day to help his clients get successful results, often despite difficult circumstances.
While Mark is aggressive in pursuing his clients' objectives, he is well known for his compassion and patience in working with his clients. Mark has firsthand experience of the emotional devastation and confusing legal issues that a person is faced with when getting a divorce—it’s one of the reasons he became a family lawyer.
"I understand how my clients are feeling," says Mark. "They are going through a stressful time and are counting on me to navigate the legal system for them, which is often much more of an art than anything else. I counsel my clients carefully about their options, then act directly to achieve their objectives."
Mark distinguishes his approach to family law by handling every case with common sense, confidence, unwavering ethics, and professionalism. He has specialized training in both litigation and mediation, making him equally comfortable—and skillful—inside or outside the courtroom.
With a philosophy to “do better” for his clients than they’d get from anyone else, Mark works hard to earn his clients’ trust through clear and frequent communication, highly knowledgeable legal advocacy, and real compassion.
Mark represents clients in all types of family law matters and is highly experienced in cases that involve high-conflict situations, business ownership, or military families. He works mainly from the firm's Tacoma office.
Mark lives in Black Diamond, WA with his wife and children, where he coaches and referees the children's sports teams and enjoys exciting outdoor activities, whether on land, water, or up in the air.Next >>
- Commissioner Pro Tempore, Pierce County
- Chairman, Platinum Achievement Committee, Honorable Robert J. Bryan American Inn of Court, Chapter XXV
- United States Air Force, Fighter Pilot and Officer, 1983-1988
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section; Rules of Professional Conduct Committee: 2011-2012; Continuing Legal Education Committee: 2011/2012; Professionalism Committee 2009-2011
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Cascade Vista Youth Athletic Club, Board of Directors
In the Community
- Operation Military Family, Volunteer Attorney, 2009-present
- WSBA Home Foreclosure Legal Aid Project, Volunteer Attorney, 2009-present
- Tacoma-Pierce County Legal Clinic, Volunteer Attorney, 2008-present
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- Graduate, Trial Skills, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Certified Mediator, King County Dispute Resolution Center
- B.A. University of Washington
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, “Estate Planning Essentials,” Edward Jones Client Roundtable, Puyallup, WA, 2013
- Speaker, “Estate Planning Basics,” South Hill Professionals, 2012