About Brent Bohan
Jobs in the Seattle area were scarce for new lawyers when Brent Bohan graduated from law school. But that didn’t stop this high-energy, can-do attorney from carving out what turned into a successful niche practice—one that led him, ultimately, to focus his professional expertise on family law.
"Initially, I launched my own private practice, handling a wide range of cases,” recalls the Super Lawyers® Rising Star. “I found I had a special knack for working with families in transition."
Fast forward a few years, during which time this talented, entrepreneurial legal counselor began getting noticed by some of the best family lawyers in Seattle. In 2014, McKinley Irvin partner David Starks observed him argue a case in court. He was impressed. Talks began and, within weeks, Brent was named the newest member of the Northwest’s largest family law firm. Just five years later, he was named partner.
"McKinley Irvin fosters a positive professional culture, focused first and foremost and finally on our clients. We possess a level of legal talent and resources unmatched in the Pacific Northwest."
That Brent thrives in this environment is apparent. His beneficiaries? The clients he represents, who value his empathy, his vitality, his smarts, and his candor.
"One of the first things I tell my clients is this: They pay me to tell them the truth,” he insists. “If there is a problem with their case, I tell them about it. Immediately. I don’t oversell—and I don’t ‘wait until Monday.’ I’m religious about checking my emails; and I’m quick to respond."
In Brent’s mind, there are other indispensable keys to success in the practice of family law. Chief among them are the ability to listen, “really listen,” and to discern what it is each client wants to get out of what is, for most, a painful process.
“I’m attentive to what my clients tell me,” notes the Seattle office attorney and CrossFit enthusiast. “What is it they want out of this difficult proceeding? These are their decisions. This is their life.”Next >>
- Board of Trustees, King County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section & Litigation Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- King County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Snohomish County Bar Association, Family Law Section & Young Lawyers Division
- Federal Bar Association
- Federal Trial Bar
- Washington State Association for Justice, Eagle Member and Attorney Member
- Washington Mediation Association
Pro Bono Adjunct Professor, Seattle University School of Law, 2022
- JD, Vermont Law School
- MA, Environmental Law and Policy, Vermont Law School
- BA, Politics, Philosophy, and Economics, University of Washington
Publications & Presentations
- Author, Part One: Dissolution, Legal Separation and Declaration Concerning Validity, Chapter 9 Domestic Relations Practice, 2019 Washington Lawyers Practice Manual, King County Bar Association, June 2020
- Contributor, "Filing for Divorce? Get Organized," 425 Business Magazine, 2017
- Author, "The Evolution of Pets in Divorce," Pet Connection Magazine, July/August 2017
- Contributor, “Filing for Divorce? Get Organized,” 425 Business Magazine, January 2017
- Author, “Why I Love Being a Member of the YLD,” King County Bar Bulletin, 2014
- Author, “Thinking About Using Social Media During Divorce? Think Again,” Avvo Legal Guide
- Author, “Should I Stay in the Marital Home During Divorce,” Avvo Legal Guide
- Author, “How Do I Get Child Custody in Washington State,” Avvo Legal Guide
- Author, “Helpful Tips on How to Prepare for Divorce,” Avvo Legal Guide
- Guest Speaker, Divorce & Property Division, The Money Hour, The Money Hour on 1150 AM KKNW, December 2022
- Presenter, “Non-Pattern-form Actions – DeFacto Parentage, Committed Intimate Relationships,” Domestic Relations Attorneys of Washington (DRAW) Annual Meeting, October 2022
- Presenter, Advanced Child And Spousal Support Issues, Advanced Family Law Seminar, National Business Institute, 2021
- Presenter, “High Asset Divorces,” Annual DRAW Meeting (Virtual), 2020
- Presenter, "Understanding Relocation: Fundamentals and Overview,” Lorman Education Services CLE, July 2017
In The News
“Bill Gates’ $130 Billion Fortune: Lawyers Reveal What Melinda May Get In Divorce With No Prenup,” Hollywood Life (hollywoodlife.com), May 2021