The Legal Rights of Unmarried Couples
Unmarried couples have different rights than married couples. But, if you're living together as an unmarried couple and your relationship is ending, there are steps you can take to protect yourself.
If you want to end an unmarried relationship:
If you are living with someone in an unmarried relationship and are thinking about ending the relationship, do you know your rights? If you would describe your relationship as marital-like, if you commingled finances, or if you have children together, it is advisable to consult with a family law attorney to discuss your situation.
More information about the rights of unmarried couples:
- 5 Misconceptions About Common-Law Marriage
- Rights When Ending Intimate Committed Relationships
- Unmarried Couples & Washington Family Law
- Unmarried couples living together: What are your legal rights?
- My Partner and I Split Up. Now What?
If you have questions about the legal complexities of an unmarried relationship and need help, we invite you to contact McKinley Irvin to address your legal rights.