The following questions have been prepared by McKinley Irvin to help you identify and prioritize the factors most important to you when you are selecting your personal family attorney. The process should be undertaken deliberately and thoughtfully, with as little emotion as possible. We know this can be difficult during this trying time, but experience tells us that a considered approach to this all-important decision will serve you best in the long term.
1. Does the attorney limit his or her practice to family law and directly related matters? In short, is he or she an expert?
2. Does the attorney have sufficient knowledge and experience handling cases similar to mine?
3. Does the attorney possess adequate resources (e.g., support staff, modern technology, ready access to other excellent family law attorneys, etc.) to ensure that I receive exceptional legal advice and personal client service?
4. Does the attorney appear, speak, and behave in a professional, courteous, and intelligent manner?
5. Does the attorney answer my questions completely and in terms that I can easily understand?
6. Does the attorney demonstrate a sincere interest in helping me with my case? Does he or she really listen to me?
7. Can the attorney articulate a strategy to help me resolve my case in the most advantageous fashion? Does he or she explain the pros and cons of various options?
8. Is the attorney ready, willing, able, and experienced enough to go to court hearings or trial on your behalf when necessary?
9. Can the attorney ensure that, once my case begins, there is a schedule to keep it moving toward resolution?
10. Do I feel I can work well with the attorney?
Please feel free to contact us if you would like more information about McKinley Irvin that can help you answer any of the questions above. We are available to discuss any other matters of importance to you, as well. Simply call our offices at 206.625.9600.