McKinley Irvin is pleased to announce the publication of our comprehensive online
Legal Guide to Same-Sex Marriage, Parenting & Divorce in Washington State. Written by our own Jill Mullins, this guide provides an easy-to-understand,
comprehensive look into the
legal rights, responsibilities, and-especially-the legal complexities that
exist for same-sex couples and families.
We address questions many same-sex couples face, such as:
- What legal rights are same-sex couples in Washington granted?
- How can a same-sex couple establish and protect their legal rights as a
family in Washington?
- How are same-sex couple's legal rights impacted when moving or traveling
to a state that doesn't recognize same-sex marriage?
- How should a non-biological parent establish a legal relationship their child?
- What does it mean now that the Federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has
been found unconstitutional?
- What do same-sex couples need to know about divorce?
The guide also includes quick guide with a list of McKinley Irvin's
top same-sex family law tips, statistics on same-sex marriage and divorce
and an illuminating infographic on the evolution of same-sex rights in
This guide was developed under the leadership of same-sex family law advocate
and McKinley Irvin attorney, Jill Mullins. In addition to practicing family
law, she is also a board member of the QLaw Foundation and the founder
of the GLBT Legal Clinic in King County.
Read more about Jill.
Legal Guide to
Same-Sex Marriage, Parenting & Divorce in Washington State
is free and available in its entirety online. It is an invaluable resource
for same-sex couples in the state of Washington who want to fully understand
their legal rights and how to protect their families.
Go To The Guide >